5 Best Cheap Plasma Cutters Review 2019 [Comparison Table]
Get More Bang For Your Buck!
Not everyone needs a heavy-duty high-end plasma cutter. If you’re a DIY enthusiast and will only use it occasionally, a low budget unit will work perfectly.
There are many cost effective options that will do the job, for example the Lotos Plasma Cutter range we reviewed can satisfy any home DIY enthusiast.
Manufacturers have introduced a number of great quality, reliable and affordable cheap plasma cutters to the market in recent years.
We have short listed them for you, let’s have a look at our recommended best inexpensive plasma cutters.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Cheap Plasma Cutter Comparisons 
- 2 Reviews Of Best Budget Plasma Cutters Under 500
- 2.1 Lotos LTP5000D
- 2.2 Zeny Cut50 DC Inverter Plasma Cutter
- 2.3 SUNGOLDPOWER 50Amp Air Plasma Cutter
- 2.4 PrimeWeld Ct520d 50 A
- 2.5 Goplus CUT-50
- 3 Why Should You Buy An Inexpensive Plasma Cutter?
- 4 How Reliable Are Cheap Plasma Cutters?
Best Cheap Plasma Cutter Comparisons 
Ideal Cutting Thickness
15 x 6
15 x 6
ZENY Plasma Cutter
1/2"(approx.) 12.7 mm
18.5 x 13.5 x 11
19.3 x 10.2 x 15.8
Reviews Of Best Budget Plasma Cutters Under 500
Based on our reviews, we have compiled a list of the best inexpensive plasma cutters when considering their functionality, performance, sustainability, and maintenance.
The Lotos LTP5000D Plasma Cutter blasts it's way onto our list with ample cutting performance put together into a compact package. The pilot arc feature is really handy for cutting on rough surfaces or dirty metal.
It will help to extend the life of your consumables and make cutting more enjoyable.
At under $500 this unit offers the best bang for your buck.
- Non-touch Pilot Arc - Increase consumable life, reduces the cutting time and enhances the cutting quality.
- High-Frequency Inverter Technology - Smooth cut on a wide range of surfaces.
- Auto Dual Voltage - 110V at 50Hz or 220V at 60 Hz frequency.
- Weight - 26 lbs
- Dimension - 15 x 6 x 12 inches
- Color - red
- Max cutting thickness - 1/2"
- Duty Cycle - 60% @ 50A
- Air pressure - 65psi
- Power supply voltage - 110V/220V, 60Hz
- Output current - 10-50 A
- Power cable - 6' (1.8m)
Q. Do I need an air compressor with this unit?
Yes, you will need an air compressor and 220v 30A outlet. You DO NOT need any bottled gas.
Q. Does this plasma cutter come with a warranty?
Yes, a 1 year manufacturers warranty is provided. You will need to submit a product registration via the lotos website.
Zeny Cut50 DC Inverter Plasma Cutter
The Zeny plasma cutter is a great option if you’re a DIY hobbyist and on a budget. If your task requires cutting different sized metal sheets, you’ll find it quite reliable. It cuts well, is easy to use, made well and therefore overall makes it good value for money.
In addition, the machine is fairly easy to set up, so even a new user can set this up quickly.
It's hard to find another product that works just as well in this price range.
- Dual Voltage - allows the user to operate the machine at 110V or 220V.
- Lightweight - easily portable from one job site to another.
- Digital Readout - easy to view and read what you’ve manually dialed.
- Weight - 10kg
- Dimension - 49 x 40 x 28 inches
- Color - Yellow
- Max cutting thickness 1-12mm
- Efficiency - 85%
- Duty Cycle - 60%
- Power factor - 0.93
- Protection class - P21
- Load loss - 40W
- Air pressure - 0.4Pa
- Power supply capacity - 5.5KVA
- Power supply voltage - 110V/220V, 60Hz
- Rated input current - 24 A
- Arc striking model - Touch
- Current range 20-50A
Q. What battery wire is used on the earth clamp and how long is it?
A. You’ll need a 2 gauge wire. The battery cable is about 8 feet long.
Q. What does 2.5s and 5s on the front switch mean?
A. 2.5s and 5s setting on the switch is the post flow setting. It indicates how long air flows after you release the button.
SUNGOLDPOWER 50Amp Air Plasma Cutter
SUNGOLDPOWER 50A is a little machine with high performance. Integrated with IGBT inverter soft switch technology, this unit is stable and superior than many of its rivals. It's fast and works well when used to cut metals such as copper, stainless steel, aluminum, iron etc. up to 15mm thickness. The duty cycle is more than enough for most projects.
Its multi-plug voltage allows the user the ability to select from 1100v or 220v power. It is easy to setup, just plug it in and go. From experience, this is indeed one of the best plasma cutters in its price range.
- Dual Voltage - works on 110v and 220v
- IGBT inverter soft switch technology - for more stable performance.
- Digital LCD display and front panel air-pressure gauge - easy to read.
- Air pressure and over current light indicators - enable you to view your units operating condition.
- Cost effective - saves energy, high cutting speed, and smooth cutting results.
- Strong interface resistance - electric shock shield, waterproof.
- Weight - 23.5 pounds
- Dimension - 19.3 x 10.2 x 15.8 inches
- Power supply voltage - AC 110±15%/AC 220±15%
- Power supply capacity - 6.4 kVA
- Output current range 10-50A
- Duty Cycle - 60%
- Output voltage - 100V
- No-load voltage - 210 V
- Power frequency 50-60Hz
- Rated input current - 27 A
- Max Cutting Thickness 0-15mm
- Air pressure - 0.4 MPa
- Insulation grade - F
- Protection grade - IP 21 S
- Efficiency - 85%
Q. Does SUNGOLDPOWER Plasma Cutter come with its own air compressor?
A. No. The unit doesn’t come with an air compressor. You’ll have to buy it yourself.
Q. Do I need to buy consumables?
A. Yes. As the unit doesn’t come with consumables, you’ll have to purchase them.
PrimeWeld Ct520d 50 A
PrimeWeld Ct520D has all the basic features needed for a hobbyist.
It's a 3-in-1 plasma cutter, Stick and TIG welder. The plasma cutter delivers 50 amps current which is ideal to cut up to ½” thickness.
On the other hand, the Stick/ TIG welder can deliver 200amp welding current. CT520D is an efficient tool to cut and weld a wide range of things.
Moreover, this combo unit weight only 32pounds which makes it easy to carry on any worksite.In summary, a perfect tool for the majority of your cutting and welding tasks.
- Multi-purpose 3 in 1 unit - combines plasma cutting, arc welding, and TIG/stick functions.
- Easy and quick operation - able to switch between DC STICK and DC TIG Welder easily and quickly.
- Easy to carry - its 32lbs weight makes the unit a portable one.
- Weight - 32 pounds
- Input power frequency - 50Hz / 60Hz
- Power efficiency - 85%
- Max cutting thickness - ½ inch
Q. Do I need to buy a separate air compressor?
A. Yes. As PrimeWeld Ct520d doesn’t come with an air compressor, you'll have to buy it separately.
Q. Can I use a foot pedal with CT520D?
A. Yes. You can use a foot pedal with this unit
Goplus CUT-50 is one of the perfect units for professionals who want all the basic features at an affordable price. This electric digital plasma cutter is great to cut stainless steel, alloy steel, copper and other metals.
This unit has advanced inverter technology, making its performance reliable and stable. This 50 amp plasma cutter delivers a high cutting speed and at the same time doesn't use much energy.
The Goplus plasma cutter can be used in the following outside environment conditions of between -10 degrees and +40 degree temperature, with a maximum humidity of 80%. Overall, it's a fantastic tool that gets the job done.
- Dual voltage- works well at 120V or 220V.
- High frequency start - perfect for longer tip life.
- Delay functions - gas delay for before and after trigger release
- Power Voltage - 110V/220V
- No-Load Voltage - 240V
- Max. Cutting Thickness 1-12mm
- Pilot Arc Mode - HF Oscillating
- Rate Output Current 20-50A
- Rate Output Voltage - 96V
- Burner Inter Diameter - 1.0mm
- Air Compressor pressure 4-5kg/ 8.8-11Lbs
Q. Does the unit feature pilot arc?
A. No. It features HF (High frequency) starter. It allows the user to strike an arc to ignite the torch head.
Q. Does the unit come with 220 power plug/ cord?
A. It comes with a cord. But you have to purchase the plug.
Why Should You Buy An Inexpensive Plasma Cutter?
The type of plasma cutter you need will depend on what you will be using it for. We find the more expensive plasma cutters have premium features which are more tailored to commercial use. If you don't require cutting at a large scale commercial level a less expensive model without all the additional premium features, is more than sufficient for home use, occasional use or for small business use. Furthermore, these are great choices if you are a beginner or don't have much experience in using these as we've chosen ones which are easy to use.
For example, if you’re a hobbyist or need to do minor repairs around your house, an inexpensive plasma cutter would most likely work very well for your needs.
Our reviews have found the following as the best low cost plasma cutters that do the job for people that fit the above criteria as discussed above: Lotos LTP5000D, Lotos LT5000D, Zeny Cut50, SUNGOLDPOWER 50A, PrimeWeld CT520D, or Goplus CUT-50.
How Reliable Are Cheap Plasma Cutters?
If you don't require additional fancy features of the more expensive models, cheap plasma cutters get the job done and are actually reliable for your standard needs. There are many people who have owned these low cost plasma cutters for over 8 years and they continue to perform with no issues.
A word of caution
Don't expect to cut the maximum thickness that an item will advertise. If you need to cut at the stated maximum thickness, it is recommended you select a model which can easily do the job.
It is always advised that upon purchase of a unit, you make use of it to ensure there are no faults whilst it is still under warranty. If your machine doesn't fail within the initial 15-20 times of use, the chances are that it shouldn’t have problems in the near future. If it does have problems you can of course have it replaced under warranty.
If you are after a reliable unit with great features at a reasonable price, the units mentioned above are the ones we recommend and are our preferred top five Cheap Plasma Cutters.
Cheap doesn’t always mean poor quality.
Admittedly, you won’t get a lot of advanced features from these inexpensive units. But for home DIY jobs and light duty small business projects, these less expensive plasma cutters will work well and won't break the budget.